This is the website of Dr. Samuel Wilson, Lecturer in Contextual Studies at London Contemporary Dance School and Tutor in Music, Philosophy, and Aesthetics at Guildhall School of Music and Drama. On this website you can find my academic profile, blog, and details about my projects and publications.
I can be contacted at s.wilson [at] gsmd.ac.uk
My primary research is musicological, focusing on art music’s relationship with the changing material and intellectual conditions of twentieth- and twenty-first-century modernity. My research interests include:
- Musical modernism and modernity, particularly that of the late twentieth century
- Contemporary music and experimentalism
- The Frankfurt School, Adorno; recent Critical Theory (e.g. Braidotti)
- Music and psychoanalytic theory
- Materialist approaches to music (Marxism, “new” materialism, posthumanism); the body in music
- Music, time, temporality
I teach at two performing arts institutions. At London Contemporary Dance School (at The Place), I teach interdisciplinary classes on the arts and culture, and supervise finalists’ independent projects.
I also teach at Guildhall School of Music and Drama where I am the Tutor in Music, Philosophy, and Aesthetics.